Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Maggie’s Birth Story

On Monday, January 13th while I was folding laundry in the afternoon I started feeling some strong contractions.  My biggest fear was getting stuck in traffic on O’Neal.  I called my midwife Bethanie who was at the office that day.  I asked her if I could come in to check me to see if I had progressed since my last check-up.  She was only going to be in the office till 4:30 and it was around 3:30 pm.  I took a quick shower, called my mom and neighbor to come watch the kids and headed to the doctor’s office.  I had some pretty strong contractions while I was driving.  When I got there, Bethanie checked me and I had progressed from my previous appointment.  She told me to go ahead and go to the hospital since I was considering getting an epidural this time. 

I don’t know what it was this time, but I was more scared of the pain.  I think in the long run this fear prolonged the labor.  Once they described the epidural process to me, I knew that I didn’t want to go that route.  I knew I would regret it later and would also miss the freedom I have immediately after I deliver like taking a shower and getting up & walking around.  The first couple of hours I progressed a little but I was scared to let them break my water because I didn’t want to deal with the pain.  So I just walked hoping that it would progress more.  Finally, when I was ready for them to break my water the midwife Kathy wouldn’t do it.  I mentioned my fluid level was a little high and the baby was still high up that she was afraid if she broke my water the cord would come out first.  So we had to wait until the doctor came on the next morning.  They suggested I get in the bed to red but I couldn’t get comfortable in the bed. 

So at 7:00 am on 1/14/14, Dr. Huynh did a quick ultrasound to make sure the baby was in the right position and then broke my water.  I sat down in a chair because my feet & legs hurt from basically standing up & walking all night long especially since I had been up for 24 hours.  A new midwife Jan had come on at 7:00 and was massaging my feet when 2 more gushes of water came out.  After this, the pressure was getting worse so I moved to the bathtub.  I asked them to check me to see if I was ready to push, but they just told me to push when I was ready.  I started pushing in the tub but I eventually just stood up in the tub.  At one point, they told me to raise my leg and put it up on the side of the tub.  They kept telling me to push, but I felt like I was pushing all I could and nothing was happening.  This is when I shouted out “I ‘m going to die!”  Poor Levi, he had come to witness this birth and at that point he left the room.  At 8:10 am Maggie Faith was delivered weighing 9 lbs, 14 ounces and measuring 21 inches.  She was my biggest baby, but the funny thing is I didn’t have any stitches with her. 

This was the 1st time we didn’t have another adult with us when she was born so I don’t have a lot of pictures.  Amy came up to the hospital when I first went in and stayed for a good part of the night.  But eventually she had to go home because Rob had come with her. 

Here’s some of the pictures from when we were at the hospital. 

 photo 4x6-0114217_zpse421073a.jpg photo 4x6-0114219_zpsd8b611d3.jpg  photo 5x7-familywithmaggie_zps58fec6ed.jpg photo 4x6-maggiewithsiblings_zpsc6a649d6.jpg  photo 4x6-0114260_zpsba5d5abf.jpg photo 4x6-0114263_zps10f164eb.jpg

No comments: