Wednesday, July 1, 2009

The Lindsays Version of Mount Vesuvius

In our study of ancient Rome, we also read about Pompeii and it's sister city Herculaneum that was destroyed by the volcano Mount Vesuvius.

I made the "volcano" out of old playdough (the colors were already mixed from VBS) and a gatorade bottle. I found this recipe online that I thought might offer a bigger eruption because it also included dish soap with the baking soda and vinegar.

Starting to erupt
Covering the cutting board city

Reminds me of smoke

After Luke added more dye

Miriam adding more dye

Levi wanted to do it too

Now Cameron

Now that's some lava!

After our experiment...
I actually got them all to look by pointing to some on my face and asking them what it was...
too bad they're wearing "around the house" clothes and Miriam's hair is a mess
After Mount Vesuvius "cooled" in the hot sun
(reminded me of what it probably looked like after the lava hardened)

I gave them cameras to record the experiment, but Cameron & Miriam didn't even use theirs (even after I put new batteries in them)!

Here's Luke's 2 videos









4 comments:

Amy said...

Cade and Ian just looked at this and said, "There projects always look better than ours!"

Laura said...

I like Luke's singing in the first video. And the "who's wants to watch the replay?"... and the little voice saying "me". Not sure if it was Cam or Miriam... but I laughed alot! Can't wait to see y'all this weekend!

Anonymous said...

Cool volcano - and the videos were hilarious!

Jenn said...

That is one cool volcano!!! Love that red dye too!