These are similar to what ancient Greek people would have purchased at the market to take home for dinner.
Recipe taken from this book
2 packages frozen chopped spinach
1 stick butter
2 green onions, chopped
8 ounces feta cheese
15 ounces ricotta cheese or small curd cottage cheese
3 eggs, beaten
1 or 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
1 pound frozen fillo pastry dough
- Thaw the spinach ahead of time. Let it drain in the colander. Press all the water out with a fork.
- Heat the oven to 375.
- Put a tablespoon of butter in the saucepan and add the onion. Stir over medium-low until the onion is cooked.
- Add the drained and squeezed spinach and simmer a few minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the feta cheese, ricotta cheese, eggs, and parsley.
- Mix well.
- Melt the rest of the butter (7 tbsp) in a pan on low heat.
- Open the fillo dough and cut it into three pieces.
- Place a damp towel over the dough to keep it from drying out before you use it.
- Remove one sheet at a time.
- Fold in the sides about 1 inch.
- Brush the dough with melted butter.
- Place a tablespoon of spinach-cheese filling in the lower corner.
- Fold the dough in triangles, over and over, until you get to the end of the dough strip.
- Tuck the ends under.
- Place the triangles on a baking sheet and bake for about 30 minutes or until they are golden brown.